Man in critical condition after Boystown fight

A man was beaten and critically injured in a fight that broke out in the heart of Boystown early Monday.

A 44-year-old man was walking in the 3300 block of N. Halsted St., when another man knocked his cell phone out of his hands and broke it. At 5:50 a.m., the victim then confronted the offender, who started to beat him, knocking him to the ground. Two other offenders joined in the attack, kicking him and punching him, according to police.

The victim was found bloodied in the street by witnesses and bystanders and was transported to Advocate Illinois Medical Center, where he was listed in critical but stable condition Monday afternoon, said police.

Craig Collins, who has lived in the neighborhood for 12 years, said he was passing the man in a cab and got out to help when he saw him on the ground just before they reached the intersection of Halsted Street and Roscoe Avenue.

“I got out and tried to keep him calm along with another woman who had also stopped to help,” Collins said. “We waited with him until the paramedics arrived. It was terrifying. I hope he’s OK.”

The majority of the victim’s wounds were to his head and his face was covered in blood to the point that it would be hard to identify him, said Collins.

“I’m still very shaken from it,” he said. “I just held his hand and tried to be kind to him because I was worried that I was going to be the last person to talk to him.”

Numerous bars and nightclubs line the block of the attack, which is part of the Boystown neighborhood’s main nightlife strip. The victim and the assailants are believed to have been intoxicated.

Police describe the attackers as three African American males in their early 20s with brown eyes and black hair. The initial offender was 6 feet 1 inch tall and was wearing a brown jacket and blue jeans; the second stood 5 feet 9 inches tall, weighing about 180 lbs. with a purple do-rag and black pants; and the third assailant was about 5 feet 4 inches tall, 145 lbs. and was seen wearing a blue jacket. All three fled southbound on Halsted Street. No suspects are in custody as of Monday afternoon, said police.

Ald. Tom Tunney, who represents Boystown in the 44th Ward, posted a message on his website saying that his office has requested video footage from the Chicago police blue light camera at the intersection and that anyone with information about the crime should reach out to authorities.

Area North detectives were investigating.

What do you think?